Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Update on the school situation!

Life has had A LOT of ups and downs here lately. Jay had to quit his job because he has seriously injured his back. He has compacted his spine, and right now has no feeling in his left foot. If he continued to work the doctor said it was a definite possibility that he would become paralyzed in his left leg. Probably not a good idea...
Prior to learning the severity of his injuries, we had a big argument that resulted in Jay needing to leave the house. We have since worked a bit on our problems and he has come back home...on a temp to perm basis :) Part of our disagreements are based around homeschooling. We have different theories and opinions on how to school our children. In an effort to prove I do value his opinion I've looked into sending Alyssa to school. She may be attending a Christian kindergarten, possibly beginning next week. It's a bit difficult for me. I know she'll do well I know that she will succeed either way, she's just that kind of child! It's only half day though so I figured for this year it's a good compromise. It is VERY hard for me to accept this, and I'm pretty disappointed from a "teacher" stand point. I've been so excited for this school year and looking forward to the next 6-9 years of her being home with me learning.
So things are kind of on hold right now. We are continuing to do workbooks and reading lessons right now. I'm just not starting any unit studies until I know how much time I'll have, which kids, and what Alyssa might be covering at school.
Casten will continue to be home schooled this year. We thought about putting him in school, but academically he's advanced for his age (he'd just be going into 3 year old preschool) I think he'd just be bored and he'd act up. We'll be working on his reading and math skills this year.