Wednesday, October 6, 2010

oh....it's been SOOOOO long!

It's been a while since I've written on here. We are plugging along. Nothing too exciting to report! I've been working hard to get caught up on my hat business, and Jay has a crazy school/work schedule this quarter that has him gone all day Monday and Tuesday. Then on Friday he leaves after our co-op and doesn't come back until Saturday afternoon (at which time I usually head to work myself!) It's been very busy!
Alyssa has gotten the hang of addition! Today she was working on problems and didn't need to use any tools to answer a lot of them! I was really excited! She had previously been using dots to figure out her addition problems. Then one day my mother in law and I were at a teacher's store and saw a workbook that showed a bunny hopping up the number trail. They started the bunny at the first number of the problem and then the bunny hopped up the number of spaces of the second number. That made it easier for her to visualize the problems! I'm very proud of her progress. Already at such a young age she hates math! I'm trying to make it more exciting for her, but not sure how! I've always loved numbers and number problems, so I'm not sure how to make it more fun! Any suggestions would be welcomed!
She is also doing AMAZING at her cursive and typing. I'm really proud of that! She's trying so hard to learn the cursive writing. It's also helping her in her printing too! She's starting to write her letters all correctly.
Casten is reading :) He can read words that are spelled phonetically! It's so neat to see him learn! We are still working on number recognition with him. He can count pretty high, but he doesn't recognize numbers higher than 12 most of the time! (If I prompt him and tell him the name of a number like 35, he'll be able to figure out 31-39). Hopefully we'll move on to simple addition before the end of the year!
Maizie is just hanging out, along for the ride :) She hasn't had too much interest in sitting with us, which is fine for now. I think after Christmas, I'll start making her do a little work each day. She's such a strong willed child, I think it's better to get her sitting and listening at a young age!
We are LOVING our co-op! The kids are making so many new friends it's awesome! Casten is fitting in incredibly well! He's definitely one of the older ones in the group. Academically they are keeping him engaged, which is great! Socially he fits in so much better with the younger kids.
So that's what's going on in a nutshell! I'm hoping to have a lot more interesting posts in the near future!!

Alyssa's birthday is this Sunday! If you'd like to come by and bring your kids, we'd love to have them! Alyssa really just wants kids to come to her party, so if you are free, please don't worry about a gift, just come on by! We are having the party in the South Suburbs. We'll be at the Michael's store in New Lenox, on rt. 30 at 1:30!